Important 2015 Admission Cycle Dates
Please note carefully the deadline dates below.
- October 1, 2014 – CSUMentor and AuD Program online applications open
- December 15, 2014 – CSUMentor online application due
- January 12, 2015 – AuD Program online application (and hard copy) due
- January 12, 2015 – File Completion deadline (transcripts and test scores must be received by Graduate Admissions; supplemental materials packet must be received by AuD Program
Applicants for admission to the program must meet the general requirements for admission to both universities, as outlined in the current catalogs of SDSU and UCSD. Applicants must also meet the special requirements of this program. These currently include:
- Overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better in undergraduate courses and any graduate courses completed – good standing in the last institution attended. For those with a GPA of 2.75-2.99, files will be reviewed, and conditional admission may be granted based on outstanding documentation of the other admission requirements;
- Submission of scores on the GRE (and TOEFL, if applicable), with satisfactory performance on quantitative, verbal, and analytic portions of the examination;
- Prerequisite completion of at least one course in statistics, one course in biological science, one course in physical science, an additional course in biological or physical science, two courses in behavioral/social sciences, and one course in American Sign Language. Deficiencies in these areas may be completed after admission to the program if approved by the Admissions Committee. The number of new admissions is targeted at 10 students per year selected from a pool of qualified applicants. Therefore, admission is based on consideration of all application materials and the relative merits of individual applicants among all eligible applicants.
Fall 2015 Application Instructions
Students are admitted in the fall only. Begin the process early to assure consideration of your application. Admission decisions are made in late February. Notifications of admission decisions are emailed shortly thereafter.
All admission materials are initially sent to SDSU only. If admitted, an application to UCSD (with fee) will be required as instructed by the program at a later date.
Step 1 – Submission of the California State University Online Application (CSUMentor) by December 15
- Complete the CSUMentor online application. There is an application fee.
- Indicate “Audiology (AuD)” as your Major/Program Objective.
- Indicate “Doctorate” as the Degree Objective.
NOTE: The CSUMentor online application (Step 1) must be submitted before submitting the AuD Program’s online application (Step 2). Approximately 10-15 days after submitting the CSUMentor application, SDSU will email you your permanent Red ID number and instructions on how to set up your WebPortal account. A WebPortal account is the primary SDSU e-Services online account used to access important student services, including Application Status Check, Updating Email/Address, Applying for on-campus housing, and My Registration Information. Receipt of your Red ID indicates that Graduate Admissions has received your CSUMentor application, has set up your electronic file, and is now prepared to receive and process your transcripts.
Step 2 – Submission of the SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral AuD Program Supplemental Application by January 12
- Complete the SDSU/UCSD AuD Program online application after receiving your SDSU Red ID #, which may take up to two weeks after submitting the CSUMentor application (Step 1)
- SDSU Red ID must be included on this application. Admissions will e-mail this Red ID 10-15 business days after submission of the CSUMentor application.
- Submit the application online and print a copy to include in your Supplemental Materials packet (see Step 5).
Step 3 – Submission of Official GRE (and TOEFL, if applicable) Test Scores to SDSU by January 12
- Contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and request that your GRE scores be sent electronically to San Diego State University. Use Institution Code 4682.
- International applicants must also submit TOEFL scores if preparatory education is principally in a language other than English.
Step 4 – Submission of Two Sets of Transcripts from All Institutions Attended by January 12. Be sure to begin this process early in order to insure they have all been received by January 12. Do not wait for Fall grades if doing so will make you miss the January 12 deadline. Graduate Admissions will not process any transcripts received after January 12. Remember to request a copy sent to you to include with your Supplemental Materials packet.
- Send one OFFICIAL copy of each transcript DIRECTLY to:
Graduate Admissions San Diego State University 5500 Campanile Drive San Diego, CA 92182-7416
- Include one official OR unofficial copy of each transcript in your Supplemental Materials packet (see step 5).
NOTE: Submit transcripts to SDSU Graduate Admissions after submitting the CSUMentor online application and receiving your SDSU Red ID. Be consistent in the name you use when submitting applications, transcripts, and test scores – Otherwise your application and documents cannot be matched by SDSU Graduate Admissions.
INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTS: If you have international coursework, you must have your school send SDSU Graduate Admissions one official original-language copy of all records of academic coursework and proof of degree. For each document you must also send a certified literal English translation, which can come directly from the school itself or from a professional, certified translator. The translation must contain all information shown on the original-language documents. Country-specific guidelines can be found
Step 5 – Submission of Supplemental Materials to AuD Program by January 12
- Printed copy of the AuD Program’s supplemental online application (not the CSUMentor application)
- One complete set of transcripts (official or unofficial)
- Unofficial copy of GRE (and TOEFL if applicable) Scores
- Applicant Essay (See Guidelines for the Applicant Essay)
- Three Letters of Recommendation*
- Optional: Resume of experiences applicable to this field and copies of relevant Abstracts/Papers published by you
*NOTE: There is no recommendation form. Recommendation letters are to be in sealed envelopes signed across the sealed flap by the person writing the letter and included in the supplemental materials packet. Letters of Recommendation may be submitted separately if necessary.
Mail the complete Supplemental Materials packet. Packet must be RECEIVED by January 12:
AuD Joint Doctoral Program
School of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences San Diego State University 5500 Campanile Drive San Diego, CA 92182-1518
For assistance in calculating your GPA, please use this calculator (xlsx).
Documents in .xlsx format require Microsoft Excel. Download Excel Viewer.
last updated: 10/6/2014