Important 2016 Admission Cycle Dates
Please note carefully the deadline dates below.
- October 1, 2015 – CSUMentor and SDSU Division of Graduate Affairs Online Supplemental Application open
- December 15, 2015 – CSUMentor online application due
- January 12, 2016 – SDSU Division of Graduate Affairs Online Supplemental Application due
- January 12, 2016 – File Completion deadline (transcripts and test scores must be received by Graduate Admissions). Items received after this date will not be processed.
Applicants for admission to the program must meet the general requirements for admission to both universities, as outlined in the current catalogs of SDSU and UCSD. Applicants must also meet the special requirements of this program. These currently include:
- Overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better in undergraduate courses and any graduate courses completed – good standing in the last institution attended. For those with a GPA of 2.75-2.99, files will be reviewed, and conditional admission may be granted based on outstanding documentation of the other admission requirements;
- Submission of scores on the GRE (and TOEFL, if applicable), with satisfactory performance on quantitative, verbal, and analytic portions of the examination;
- Prerequisite completion of at least one course in statistics, one course in biological science, one course in physical science, an additional course in biological or physical science, two courses in behavioral/social sciences, and one course in American Sign Language. Deficiencies in these areas may be completed after admission to the program if approved by the Admissions Committee. The number of new admissions is targeted at 10 students per year selected from a pool of qualified applicants. Therefore, admission is based on consideration of all application materials and the relative merits of individual applicants among all eligible applicants.
Fall 2016 Application Instructions
Students are admitted in the fall only. Begin the process early to assure consideration of your application. Admission decisions are made in late February. Notifications of admission decisions are emailed shortly thereafter.
Graduate admissions is a 2-step process. Firstly, you must apply generally to the University via the CSUMentor application by December 15. You will follow the status of this application, as well as receipt of your transcripts and GRE scores, via WebPortal. Secondly, you must apply to the individual department via the SDSU Division of Graduate Affairs Online Supplemental Application by January 12. You will follow the status of this application via Decision Desk . Processing of the 2 steps is simultaneous but separate. Instructions for WebPortal and Decision Desk will be sent after you submit your applications.
All admission materials are initially sent to SDSU only. If admitted, an application to UCSD (with fee) will be required as instructed by the program at a later date.
Step 1 – Submission of the California State University Online Application (CSUMentor) by December 15
- Complete the CSUMentor online application. There is a $55 application fee.
- Indicate “Audiology (AuD)” as your Major/Program Objective.
- Indicate “Doctorate” as the Degree Objective.
NOTE: The CSUMentor online application (Step 1) must be submitted before submitting the online supplemental application (Step 2). Approximately 10-15 days after submitting the CSUMentor application, SDSU will email you your permanent Red ID number and instructions on how to set up your WebPortal account. A WebPortal account is the primary SDSU e-Services online account used to access important student services, including Application Status Check, Updating Email/Address, Applying for on-campus housing, and My Registration Information. Receipt of your Red ID indicates that Graduate Admissions has received your CSUMentor application, has set up your electronic file, and is now prepared to receive and process your transcripts.
NOTE: As you will be submitting an Essay to the department, you do not need to complete the Statement of Purpose on the CSUMentor application. Simply write “Essay will be submitted directly to department” in this section.
Step 2 – Submission of the SDSU Division of Graduate Affairs Online Supplemental Application by January 12
- Complete the online application after receiving your SDSU Red ID #, which may take up to three weeks after submitting the CSUMentor application (Step 1).
- Essay, Official or Unofficial Transcripts, Resume (optional), and GRE scores will need to be uploaded to the online application.
- Once you submit your supplemental application, requests for Letters of Recommendation will be automatically sent to your recommenders using the email address you provide in the application. Three letters are required, but we will accept up to 4. Letters are due by January 12.
- You will be able to follow the status of your application through Decision Desk to see when letters of recommendation are received.
- If you encounter any problems with the supplemental application or the emails sent to your recommenders, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3 – Submission of Official GRE (and TOEFL, if applicable) Test Scores to SDSU by January 12
- Contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and request that your GRE scores be sent electronically to San Diego State University. Use Institution Code 4682.
- ETS purges electronic test scores after 5 years. If you took the GRE more than 5 years ago and have an official hard copy of your test score, we will accept that in lieu of the electronic score. You can send it directly to the department, and the department will submit it to Graduate Admissions. If you do not have an official hard copy, you will need to re-take the GRE.
- International applicants must also submit TOEFL scores if preparatory education is principally in a language other than English.
Step 4 – Submission of Transcripts from All Institutions Attended. Be sure to begin this process early in order to ensure they have all been received by January 12. Do not wait for Fall grades if doing so will make you miss the January 12 deadline. Graduate Admissions will not process any transcripts received after January 12.
- Send one OFFICIAL copy of each transcript DIRECTLY to:
Graduate Admissions San Diego State University 5500 Campanile Drive San Diego, CA 92182-7416
NOTE: Submit transcripts to SDSU Graduate Admissions after submitting the CSUMentor online application and receiving your SDSU Red ID. Be consistent in the name you use when submitting applications, transcripts, and test scores – Otherwise, your application and documents cannot be matched by SDSU Graduate Admissions.
NOTE: Students who received their undergraduate degree from SDSU do not need to submit an SDSU transcript as Enrollment Services can access those transcripts electronically. If you attended any other universities or junior colleges and these grades appear on your SDSU transcript, then you do not need to submit transcripts for those schools. For all other students, you must submit transcripts from all schools attended even if the grades appear on your degree transcript.
INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTS: If you have international coursework, you must have your school send SDSU Graduate Admissions one official original-language copy of all records of academic coursework and proof of degree. For each document you must also send a certified literal English translation, which can come directly from the school itself or from a professional, certified translator. The translation must contain all information shown on the original-language documents. Country-specific guidelines can be found on the SDSU Graduate Admissions website: http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/grad/country.html .
For assistance in calculating your GPA, please use this calculator (xlsx).
Documents in .xlsx format require Microsoft Excel. Download Excel Viewer.
last updated: 8/05/2015