Associate SLHS Director
Associate Professor, Speech Language
SL Program Director
Director, Child Language, Development, Disorders, and Disparities Lab
Phone: (619) 594-8651
Office: SLHS 228
Download CV (pdf)
- Ph.D., Louisiana State University, 2006
- American Speech Language Hearing Association
- Society for Research in Child Development
Academic and Clinical Teaching Areas
- Child Language Development and Disorders
- Diagnostic Methods
- Language Science
Dr. Pruitt’s research program examines child language development and disorders within the context of cultural and linguistic diversity. Our lab’s efforts are rooted in community-based research with the goal of improving assessment and developing targeted interventions for children with language weaknesses. Through our translational research, we aim to help families, educators, community agencies, and policy makers recognize the importance of their role in facilitating children’s language and cognitive development.
- Combiths, P., Barlow, J., Potapova, I., Pruitt-Lord, S. (accepted). Influences of Phonological Context on Tense Marking in Spanish-English Dual Language Learners. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- Potapova, I., Blumenfeld, H., Pruitt-Lord, S. (2015). Cognate identification methods: Impacts on the cognate advantage in adult and child Spanish-English bilinguals. International Journal of Bilingualism.
- Barlow, J.A., & Pruitt-Lord, S.L. (2014). The role of phonological context in children’s overt marking of ‘-s’ in two dialects of American English. In A.W. Farris-Trimble & J.A. Barlow (eds.) Perspectives on phonological theory and acquisition: Papers in honor of Daniel A. Dinnsen (pp. 133-154). Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Pruitt, S., Oetting, J., and Hegarty, M. (2011) Past Tense and Past Participle Marking by AAE-speaking children. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 54: 598-607.
- Oetting, J., Newkirk, B., Hartfield, L., Wynn, C., Pruitt, S., and Garrity, A. (2010) Index of Productive Syntax for Children who Speak African American English. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools. 41: 328-339.
- Pruitt, S., Garrity, A., and Oetting, J. (2010) Family History of Speech and Language Impairment in African American Children: Implications for Assessment. Topics in Language Disorders. 30: 154-164.
- Oetting, J., Pruitt, S., and Farho, S. (2010) On Designing Effective Caregiver Training Programs for Low Income Families. Perspectives on Language Learning and Education 2010. 17: 66-73.
- Pruitt, S.L., and Oetting, J.B. (2009) Past Tense Marking by African American English-speaking Children as a Function of Socioeconomic Status. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 52: 2-15.
- Oetting, J.B., Hartfield, L.R., and Pruitt, S.L. (2009) Exploring LENA as a Research Tool. ASHA Leader. 14(6): 20-22.
- Oetting, J., Pruitt, S., and Poston, V. (2006) Community-Based Caregiver Training: A Rationale and Model for Early Interventionists Who Work with Low-Income Families. Zero to Three. 27(1): 13-21.
- Oetting, J., and Pruitt, S. (2005) Use of Southern African American English across groups. Journal of Multilingual Communication Disorders. 3(2): 136-144.