Director, Recreational Noise Exposure and Hearing Lab
Phone: (619) 594-4787
Office: SLHS 244
Download CV (pdf)
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1993
- M.A., California State University, Long Beach, 1996
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1999
- M.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2002
- American Academy of Audiology
- American Auditory Society
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- International AIDS Society
Academic and Clinical Teaching Areas
- Hearing Science
Dr. Torre’s areas of specialization include recreational noise exposure and hearing loss, distortion product otoacoustic emissions, and the effect of HIV/AIDS on auditory function. Specific research includes: 1) change in distortion product otoacoustic emissions after MP3 player use, 2) hearing loss in HIV-infected and HIV-exposed, uninfected children and adolescents, and 3) age-related hearing loss in Latino Americans.
- Torre III, P., Zeldow, B., Hoffman, H. J., Buchanan, A. L., Siberry, G. K., Rice, M. L., Sirois, P. A., & Williams, P L. (In press). Hearing loss in perinatally HIV-infected and HIV-exposed but uninfected children and adolescents. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal.
- Rice, M. L., Buchanan, A. L., Siberry, G. K., Malee, K. M., Zeldow, B., Frederick, T., Purswani, M. U., Hoffman, H. J., Sirois, P. A., Smith, R., Torre III, P., Allison, S. M. & Williams, P L. (2012). Language impairment in children perinatally infected with HIV compared to children who were HIV-exposed and uninfected. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics. 33: 112-123.
- Torre III, P., & Barlow, J. A. (2009). Age-related changes in acoustic characteristics of adult speech. Journal of Communication Disorders. 42: 324-333.
- Torre III, P. (2008). Young adults’ use and output level settings of personal music systems. Ear and Hearing. 29: 791-799.
- Torre III, P., & Howell, J. C. (2008). Noise levels during aerobics and the potential effects on distortion product otoacoustic emissions. Journal of Communication Disorders. 41: 501-511.
- Torre III, P., Cruickshanks, K.J., Klein, B.E.K., and Nondahl, D.M. (2005) The Association Between Cardiovascular Disease and Cochlear Function in Older Adults. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 48: 473-481.
- Torre III, P., Cruickshanks, K.J., Nondahl, D.M., and Wiley, T.L. (2003) Distortion product otoacoustic emission (DPOAE) responses in older adults. Ear and Hearing. 24: 20-29.