Phone: (619) 594-1151
Office: SLHS 235
Download CV (pdf)
- B.S., Speech Pathology & Audiology, Boston University
- M.S., Communication Disorders, University of Wisconsin
- Ph.D., Audiology, University of Minnesota
- Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology (Past President)
- American Academy of Audiology (Chair, Scientific Advisory & Research Council member)
- American Auditory Society
- American Speech, Language, Hearing Association (Past Coordinating Committee Member, Special Interest Group: Aural Rehabilitation and its Instrumentation)
- Educational Audiology Association
- International Society of Audiology
- International Meeting on Internet & Audiology (Co-Chair)
Academic and Clinical Teaching Areas
- Audiologic Rehabilitation
Dr. Preminger researches adult audiologic rehabilitation using both quantitative and qualitative methods. She studies the rehabilitative process (including the uptake and use of hearing aids) from the point of view of adults with hearing impairment and their communication partners.
- Preminger JE. Should significant others be encouraged to join adult group audiologic rehabilitation classes? J Am Acad Audiol. 2003;14(10):545-55. PubMed PMID: 14748551.
- Preminger JE, *Carpenter R, Ziegler CH. A clinical perspective on cochlear dead regions: intelligibility of speech and subjective hearing aid benefit. JAmAcadAudiol. 2005;16(8):600-13.
- Preminger JE, Ziegler CH. Can auditory and visual speech perception be trained within a group setting? Am J Audiol. 2008;17(1):80-97. PubMed PMID: 18519582.
- Preminger JE, Meeks S. The influence of mood on the perception of hearing-loss related quality of life in people with hearing loss and their significant others. Int J Audiol. 2010;49(4):263-71. PubMed PMID: 20233140.
- Preminger JE, Meeks S. Evaluation of an audiological rehabilitation program for spouses of people with hearing loss. J Am Acad Audiol. 2010;21(5):315-28. PubMed PMID: 20569666.
- Preminger JE, Yoo JK. Do group audiologic rehabilitation activities influence psychosocial outcomes? Am J Audiol. 2010;19(2):109-25. PubMed PMID: 20595224.
- Preminger, J.E. & Lind, C. Assisting Communication Partners in the Setting of Treatment Goals: The development of the Goal-sharing for Partners Strategy (GPS). Seminars in Hearing, 2012;33(1):53-64.
- Knudsen LV, Laplante-Lévesque A, Jones L, Preminger JE, Nielsen C, Lunner T, et al. Conducting qualitative research in audiology: a tutorial. Int J Audiol. 2012;51(2):83-92. PubMed PMID: 21916797.
- Laplante-Levesque A, Knudsen LV, Preminger JE, Jones L, Nielsen C, Oberg M, et al. Hearing help-seeking and rehabilitation: perspectives of adults with hearing impairment. Int J Audiol. 2012;51(2):93-102. PubMed PMID: 21942678.
- Preminger JE, Meeks S. The Hearing Impairment Impact-Significant Other Profile (HII-SOP): a tool to measure hearing loss-related quality of life in spouses of people with hearing loss. J Am Acad Audiol. 2012;23(10):807-23. PubMed PMID: 23169197.
- Preminger J.E. & Laplante-Lévesque A. Perceptions of age and brain in relation to hearing help-seeking and rehabilitation. Ear and Hearing. 2014 Jan-Feb;35(1):19-29. PMID: 24121646
- Preminger J.E., Oxenbøll, M., *Barnett, M.B., Jensen, L.D., & Laplante-Lévesque A. Creating and maintaining trust in hearing healthcare services: Perspectives of adults with hearing impairment. International Journal of Audiology 2014; 29: 1-9. PMID: 25262671
- Preminger, J.E., Montano, J.J., & Tine Tjørnhøj-Thomsen. Adult-children’s perspectives on a parent’s hearing impairment and its impact on their relationship and communication. International Journal of Audiology 2015; 54: 720-726. PMID: 26083719
- *Moore, A.N., Rothpletz, A.M., & Preminger, J.E. The effect of chronological age on the acceptance of internet-based hearing healthcare. American Journal of Audiology 2015; 24: 280-283. PMID: 26649530
- Rothpletz, A.M., *Moore, A.M. & Preminger, J.E. Acceptance of internet-based hearing healthcare among adults who fail a hearing screening. International Journal of Audiology 2016; 55: 483-90. PMID: 27409278
- Preminger, J.E. & Rothpletz, A.M. Design Considerations for Internet-Delivered Self-Management Programs for Adults with Hearing Impairment. American Journal of Audiology 2016; 25(3S): 272-277. PMID: 27768187
- *Heacock, R.M., Montano, J.J. Preminger, J.E. Adult-children’s perspectives on their role in their parent’s hearing healthcare processes. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology (2018 Epub Ahead of Print). PMID: 30461393
- *Burden, R.S., Galloway, L.N., Rothpletz, A.M., *Glasheen, K.A., Preminger, J.E. (in press) The development of an internet-based coaching guide to encourage audiology care: The results of a participatory design approach. American Journal of Audiology.
- For an up to date publications list see Google Scholar