Associate Professor, Speech Language
Director, Bilingual Development In Context Lab
Phone: (619) 594-7907
Office: SLHS 238
Download CV (pdf)
- Ph.D., Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences, University of Minnesota, 2011
- M.A., Communication Disorders, San Diego State University, 2003
- B.S., Speech & Hearing Sciences, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2001
- B.A., Spanish, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2001
Dr. Pham investigates language development and disorders among bilingual children. Her research interests include first and second-language developmental trajectories, cross-linguistic transfer, ethnic identity, and treatment for bilingual children with language impairment. She is presently comparing children in the US who speak either Vietnamese or Spanish at home in order to understand common processes for learning two languages and unique processes related to individual language pairs and ethnic communities. She is also collaborating with researchers in Vietnam to identify language impairment among Vietnamese speakers, which in turn informs her work with Vietnamese-English bilinguals in the US. Dr. Pham has worked as a trilingual speech-language pathologist, fluent in Vietnamese, Spanish, and English.
- Pham, G., Ebert, K., Dinh, K.T., & Dam, Q. (in press). Nonword repetition stimuli for Vietnamese-speaking children. Behavior Research Methods.
- Pham, G., Donovan, D., Dam, Q., & Contant, A. (2018). Learning words and definitions in two languages: What promotes cross-language transfer? Language Learning, 68, 206-233.
- Pham, G., Ebert, K., & Kohnert, K. (2015). Bilingual children with primary language impairment: Three months after treatment. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 50, 94-105. PMCID: PMC5897102
- Ebert, K., Kohnert, K., Pham, G., Disher, J., & Payesteh, B. (2014). Three treatments for bilingual children with primary language impairment: Examining cross-linguistic and cross-domain effects. Journal of Speech, Language, & Hearing Research, 57, 172-186.
- Pham, G. & Kohnert, K. (2014). A longitudinal study of lexical development in children learning Vietnamese and English. Child Development, 85, 767-782.
- Pham, G., Kohnert, K., & Mann, D. (2011). Addressing clinician-client mismatch: Language intervention with a bilingual Vietnamese-English preschooler. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 42, 408-422. PMCID: PMC5906102
- Pham, G., Kohnert, K., & Carney, E. (2008). Corpora of Vietnamese texts: Lexical effects of intended audience and publication place. Behavior Research Methods, 40, 154-163.
- Tang, G. & Barlow, J. (2006). Characteristics of sound systems of monolingual Vietnamese-speaking children with phonological impairment. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics, 20, 423-445.