Director, Auditory Research Laboratory
Phone: (619) 594-3151
Office: SLHS 232
Download CV (pdf)
- B.A., Audiology / Speech Pathology, University of Michigan
- M.A., Audiology / Speech Pathology, San Diego State University
- Ph.D., Speech and Hearing Sciences, City University of New York
- International Society of Audiology
- American Academy of Audiology
- American Auditory Society
- Acoustical Society of America
Academic and Clinical Teaching Areas
- Hearing Amplification
- Research and Evidence-Based Practice in Audiology
- Psychoacoustics and Speech Perception
Dr. Mackersie’s primary research interests include the perceptual consequences of hearing loss and hearing amplification. Her research focuses specifically on psychoacoustic factors underlying individual differences in speech perception & benefit from amplification and on the development of performance measures of hearing aid benefit.
- Mackersie, C.L., and Caldron, N.C. (2016). Autonomic nervous system activity during speech repetition tasks: Heart-rate variability and skin conductance. Ear Hear, 37 Suppl 1: S118-S125.
- Mackersie, C.L., MacPhee, I.X., & Heldt, E.W. (2015). Effects of hearing loss on heart rate variability and skin conductance measured during sentence recognition in noise. Ear Hear, 36: 145-54.
- Mackersie, C.L., and Cones, H. (2011) Subjective and psychophysiological indices of listening effort in a competing-talker task. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 22: 113-122.
- Mackersie, C.L., Dewey, J., and Guthrie, L. (2011) Effects of fundamental frequency and vocal-tract length cues on sentence segregation by listeners with hearing loss. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 130: 1006-1019.
- Mackersie, C.L., Qi, Y., Boothroyd, A., and Conrad, N. (2009) Evaluation of cell phone technology with digital hearing aid features: Effects of encoding and individualized amplification. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 20: 109-118.
- Guthrie, L., and Mackersie, C.L. (2009) A Comparison of Presentation Levels to Maximize Word Recognition Scores. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 20: 381-390.
- Mackersie, C.L. (2007) Temporal intra-speech masking of plosive bursts: Effects of hearing loss and frequency shaping. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research. 50: 554-563.
- Mackersie, C.L. (2007) Loudness discomfort and hearing aid fitting: Are unaided loudness measures needed?. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 18: 502-512.
- Mackersie, C.L., Crocker, T.L., and Davis, R.A. (2004) Limiting high-frequency hearing aid gain in listeners with and without cochlear dead regions. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. 15: 498-507.
- Mackersie, C.L. (2003) Sequential stream segregation and talker separation: Performance patterns associated with talker gender. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research. 46: 912-918.