Assistant Professor, Speech Language
Director, Comprehension Opportunities in Reading And Language (CORAL) Lab
Phone: (619) 594-0837
Office: SLHS 226
Download CV (pdf)
Comprehension Opportunities in Reading and Language (CORAL) Lab site
- Ph.D., Rehabilitation Sciences, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA, 2018
- M.S., Clinical Speech Pathology, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ, 2010
- B.S., Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 2007
- 2018-Present Montana Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- 2015-Present Society for the Scientific Study of Reading
- 2010-Present American Speech, Language, & Hearing Association
Academic and Clinical Teaching Areas
- Early Language Development & Disorders
- Literacy Development & Disorders
- Clinical Practice Research & Implementation Science in School Systems
Dr. Alonzo’s research focuses on the connection between language and literacy development, with an emphasis on the role of underlying cognitive processes that support successful reading acquisition, particularly in children with developmental language disorder (DLD). Given her clinical background, Dr. Alonzo’s research is centered on the development of sensitive diagnostic tools and effective interventions to assess and treat children with language and literacy impairments, which are accessible and feasible for practicing clinicians. Because Dr. Alonzo is committed to the translation of this research into current practice, she incorporates clinical practice research and implementation science frameworks into her research agenda and aims to create productive researcher practitioner partnerships in the community.
- Davidson, M.M., Alonzo, C.N., & Stransky, M.L. (2020). Receipt of Treatment and Treating Provider for Children with Speech and Language Disorders by Disorder, Child, and Family Characteristics. Manuscript under review.
- Collins, G., Wolter, J.A., Meaux, A.B., & Alonzo, C.N. (In Press). Integrating morphological awareness in a multilinguistic structured literacy approach to improve literacy in adolescents with reading and/or language disorders. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools.
- Alonzo, C.N., McIlraith, A. L., Catts, H.W., & Hogan, T.P. (2020). Predicting dyslexia in children with developmental language disorder. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 1-12.
- Hendricks, A., Adlof, S.M., Alonzo, C. N., Fox, A. B., & Hogan, T.P. (2019). Identifying children at risk for developmental language disorder using a brief, whole-classroom screen. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 1-13.
- Schliep, M. E., Alonzo, C. N., & Morris, M. A. (2017). Beyond RCTs: Innovations in research design and methods to advance implementation science. Evidence-Based Communication Assessment and Intervention, 1-17.
- Alonzo, C.N., Yeomans-Maldonado, G., Murphy, K., Bevens, B., & the Language and Reading Research Consortium (2016). Predicting second grade listening comprehension using pre-kindergarten measures. Topics in Language Disorders, 36(4), 312-333.
- Hogan, T.P.,Adlof, S.M., & Alonzo, C.N. (2014). On the importance of listening comprehension. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 16, 199-207
- For an up to date publications list see Google Scholar.