Associate Professor, Speech Language
Director, Language Learning Lab
Phone: (619) 594-4694
Office: SLHS 227
Download CV (pdf)
- Ph.D. (2012) – Child Language, University of Kansas
- M.S. (2006) – Communication Sciences & Disorders, Vanderbilt University
- B. A. (2003) – Psychology/Linguistics, Emory University
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Academic and Clinical Teaching Areas
- Language Disorders: Infancy through Preschool
Dr. Abel’s research incorporates behavioral and neurophysiological methods to examine 1) word learning, particularly verb learning, and 2) interactions between word learning and other linguistic domains in typically developing children and children with specific language impairment.
- Maguire, M.J., Schneider, J.M., Middleton, A.E., Ralph, Y., Lopez, M., Ackerman, R.A., & Abel, A.D. (in press). Vocabulary knowledge mediates the link between socioeconomic status and word learning in grade school. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology.
- Abel, A. D., Maguire, M. J. & Schneider, J. M. (in press). The N400 response indexes word learning from linguistic context in children. Language Learning & Development.
- Abel, A. D., Schuele, C. M., Lee, M. W., Arndt, K. B., Blankenship, K. G. (2017). Another look at the influence of maternal education on preschoolers’ performance on two norm-referenced measures. Communication Disorders Quarterly, 38, 231-241
- Schneider, J. M., Abel, A. D., Ogiela, D., Middleton, A., & Maguire, M. J. (2016). Developmental differences in beta and theta power during sentence processing. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 19, 19-30.
- Abel, A. D., Maguire, M. J., Naqvi, F.M., & Kim, A.Y. (2015). Lexical retrieval of nouns and verbs in sentence completion task. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 44, 545-553.
- Maguire, M. J., Abel, A. D., Schneider, J. M., Fitzhugh, A., McCord, J., & Jeevakumar, V. (2015). EEG theta differences between object nouns and action verbs when identifying semantic relations. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience, 30, 673-683.
- Abel, A. D., Rice, M. L. & Bontempo, D. E. (2015). Effects of verb familiarity on finiteness marking in children with SLI. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 58, 360-372.
- Abel, A. D., & Schuele, C. M. (2014). The influence of two cognitive-linguistic variables on incidental word learning in five-year-olds. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 43, 447-463.
- Maguire, M. J. & Abel, A. D. (2013). What changes in neural oscillations can reveal about developmental cognitive neuroscience: Language development as a case in point. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 6, 125-136.
- For an up to date publications list see Google Scholar.