The following instructions are for the Master of Arts program with concentration in Speech-Language Pathology only.
- We only accept applications for Fall admissions (no Spring admissions).
- Applications can be submitted October 1st – January 12th. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. THE UNIVERSITY HAS DIFFERENT GENERAL DEADLINES, BUT STUDENTS APPLYING TO THIS DEPARTMENT MUST ADHERE TO OUR JANUARY 12TH DEADLINE.
- Admission decisions will be made by mid-March. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED VIA E-MAIL BY THE END OF MARCH.
- If you are interested in applying to the Master of Arts program in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences at SDSU and your undergraduate degree is in another discipline, you must complete the prerequisites at another institution. All prerequisites must be complete before beginning the masters program. We have discontinued our 3-year program for students with other backgrounds. A Google search of Speech Language Post-baccalaureate Programs will guide you to schools that offer this program. We will accept a Post-baccalaureate from any accredited University.
1. Review the MA Admission Requirements page.
2. Submit the California State University (CSUMentor) Online Application
*by December 15th*
NOTE: The CSUMentor application must be completed first. Upon completion, SDSU will e-mail you a Student Red ID # in 10-15 business days and directions on how to set up your WebPortal account. Via WebPortal, you will be able to follow the processing of your application by Enrollment Services. Enrollment Services will send e-mail updates every 2 weeks to students with incomplete files.
You will need to put this Red ID # on your SDSU Division of Graduate Affairs Online Supplemental Application.
DO NOT BEGIN SUBMITTING TRANSCRIPTS UNTIL YOU HAVE RECEIVED YOUR RED ID #, WHICH INDICATES THAT ENROLLMENT SERVICES HAS SET UP YOUR ELECTRONIC FILE.
NOTE: As you will be submitting an Essay to the department, you do not need to complete the Statement of Purpose on the CSUMentor application. Simply write “Essay submitted directly to department” in this section.
- Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences: Speech-Language Pathology (MA)
NOTE: You do not need to choose a credential program. Students earn their SLP credential as part of the masters program and all credential paperwork is completed near the end of the program.
3. Submit One Set of Official Transcripts From All Institutions Attended
*Must be received by Enrollment Services by January 12th*
- Mail to:
Graduate Admission Document Processing Unit
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
NOTE: Do not submit transcripts to Enrollment Services prior to submitting the CSUMentor Online application and receiving your Red ID.
NOTE: Submit transcripts for those courses completed and graded. Do not wait until Fall grades are posted to request transcripts if doing so will cause you to miss the Jan 12 deadline. Documents submitted after Jan 12 will not be processed. If admitted, you will be required to submit your final transcript during your first semester at SDSU.
NOTE: Students who received their undergraduate degree from SDSU do not need to submit an SDSU transcript as Enrollment Services can access those transcripts electronically. If you attended any other universities or junior colleges and these grades appear on your SDSU transcript, then you do not need to submit transcripts for those schools. For all other students, you must submit transcripts from all schools attended even if the grades appear on your degree transcript.
NOTE: INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTS–If you have international coursework, you must have your school send SDSU Graduate Admissions one official original-language copy of all records of academic coursework and proof of degree. For each document you must also send a certified literal English translation, which can come directly from the school itself or from a professional, certified translator. The translation must contain all information shown on the original language documents. Country-specific guidelines can be found on the SDSU Graduate Admissions website.
4. Submit the SDSU Division of Graduate Affairs Online Supplemental Application
*by January 12th*
- Essay, Transcripts, and Resume will need to be uploaded to the online application.
- Essay should be no more than 3 pages, double spaced. Essay prompt is: What sets you apart or makes you unique as an individual, a prospective graduate student, and a potential contributor to this profession? Consider, for example, your experience with academics, volunteerism, research, cultural and linguistic diversity, and work. Why would our program be a good fit to help you reach your unique goals?
- Requests for Letters of Recommendation will be automatically sent to your 3 recommenders using the email address you provide in the supplemental application. Three letters are required, and no more than 3 will be accepted. Letters are due by January 12.
- You will be able to follow the status of your application through Radius to see when letters of recommendation are received.
5. Submit GRE Scores
*Must be received electronically by Enrollment Services by January 12th*
- Contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) http://www.ets.org and request that your GRE scores be sent to San Diego State University electronically. Institution Code: 4682
- TOEFL scores are required, if applicable. Contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) http://www.ets.org and request that your TOEFL scores be sent to San Diego State University electronically. Institution Code: 4682. TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language. This is only required for international students whose schooling thus far has been in a language other than English.
- Allow 1 month for GRE and/or TOEFL scores to be sent electronically from ETS to SDSU.
- ETS purges electronic GRE scores after 5 years. For students who took the GRE more than 5 years ago, SDSU will accept an official hard copy in lieu of the electronic copy. If you do not have an official hard copy, you must re-take the GRE.
- TOEFL scores expire after 2 years.
For assistance in calculating your GPA, please use this calculator (xlsx).
Documents in .xlsx format require Microsoft Excel. Download Excel Viewer.
- Apply to CSUMentor
- Have ETS send electronic GRE and/or TOEFL scores
- Transcripts – One official set sent to SDSU Enrollment Services
- Complete the SDSU Division of Graduate Affairs online supplemental application, which includes uploaded essay, transcripts, and resume
- All admissions-related questions should be submitted via e-mail to Janet Park at email@example.com
We urge you to apply early. Enrollment Services receives thousands of transcripts a day and it takes time to process everything. Until they receive and scan all transcripts and test scores and sign off on your file at the University level, your file is considered incomplete, and incomplete applications are not reviewed by our admissions committee. You do not need to wait for final transcripts for classes in progress at the time you apply. If admitted to SDSU, those will be requested at a later date. The later you apply, the less room you have for any errors to be corrected.