Associate Professor, Speech Language
Phone: (619) 594-8651
Office: SLHS 229
Download CV (pdf)
- Ph.D., Louisiana State University, 2006
- American Speech Language Hearing Association
- Society for Research in Child Development
Dr. Pruitt’s research focuses on (a) morphosyntactic abilities of typically developing preschool children and children diagnosed with language impairments, (b) child language development in the context of linguistic diversity and poverty, (c) efficacy of prevention models for at-risk populations, and (d) the role of child language research in shaping public policy.
- Pruitt, S., Oetting, J., and Hegarty, M. (2011) Past Tense and Past Participle Marking by AAE-speaking children. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 54: 598-607.
- Oetting, J., Newkirk, B., Hartfield, L., Wynn, C., Pruitt, S., and Garrity, A. (2010) Index of Productive Syntax for Children who Speak African American English. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools. 41: 328-339.
- Pruitt, S., Garrity, A., and Oetting, J. (2010) Family History of Speech and Language Impairment in African American Children: Implications for Assessment. Topics in Language Disorders. 30: 154-164.
- Oetting, J., Pruitt, S., and Farho, S. (2010) On Designing Effective Caregiver Training Programs for Low Income Families. Perspectives on Language Learning and Education 2010. 17: 66-73.
- Pruitt, S.L., and Oetting, J.B. (2009) Past Tense Marking by African American English-speaking Children as a Function of Socioeconomic Status. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 52: 2-15.
- Oetting, J.B., Hartfield, L.R., and Pruitt, S.L. (2009) Exploring LENA as a Research Tool. ASHA Leader. 14(6): 20-22.
- Oetting, J., Pruitt, S., and Poston, V. (2006) Community-Based Caregiver Training: A Rationale and Model for Early Interventionists Who Work with Low-Income Families. Zero to Three. 27(1): 13-21.
- Oetting, J., and Pruitt, S. (2005) Use of Southern African American English across groups. Journal of Multilingual Communication Disorders. 3(2): 136-144.